Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I just keep runnin' and runnin'...

Ok, so I've never been a runner.  Ever.  I distinctly remember being in 7th grade, in Southern California, and having to run a mile in PE. It sucked.  Big time.  I was the last one finished.  My sides were killing me.  I was huffing and puffing.  You'd think I weighed 450lbs.  I was tiny, maybe 75-80 pounds soaking wet.  Heck, I could still wear a dress my mom bought for me when I was 5, although it didn't come to the edge of my booty. 

In high school I stayed away from track, cross country, anything that required running. I did play soccer one season, until I sprained my ankle.  My sports were tennis and swimming.  I loved both.  Didn't learn to swim until I was 15, and only then because my little sister had joined a swim team and I couldn't stand to see her do something better than me.  So I joined the swim team.  I still can't swim butterfly...I look like a whale trying to beach itself!   But I did go on to become a lifeguard the summer between my junior and senior year.  I loved that job. 

But for some reason, I've decided I want to be a runner.  So, I started the week of my birthday last year.  Downloaded an app to train for a 5K on my iPhone and started running.  Some days I didn't want to, but I actually stuck with it.  Until my leg hurt so bad I couldn't put weight on it.  Bone bruise...no running.  I had to wait 4 weeks so it could heal.  After 4 weeks I started back at day 1.  But my leg wasn't ready - and told me so in no uncertain terms!  So then I got lazy.  Figured it was the holidays, I'd start again after New Years.

Well, Jan 1 came and I didn't start.  Jan 2 was a Sunday.  I made a promise to myself a long time ago that I was determined not to workout on a Sunday.  It's the Sabbath.  I take a nap!  :-)  Jan 3 was a Monday.  So, I made up my mind to start.  Went to the gym, ran the first day on the program and it really wasn't that bad!  I went to the gym on Tuesday, didn't run, but did the elliptical for 30 minutes.  Went on Wednesday and ran.  It actually felt good!!!  We went to SF the next day, and I didn't run while we were there although we walked a lot!  So Monday, I was back at the gym running again.  It still felt good. Should have gone yesterday, but was lazy. I played Kinect with the kids instead and probably got more cardio in with that than the gym would have given me!  Went back today and actually ran....Week 2, Day 1 accomplished.

The goal is still a 5K. Maybe late March, or early April.  I'm still not convinced I'm a runner. I have a friend, Wendi, who inspires me.  Wendi jacked up her knee pretty seriously about a year and a half ago.  It was bad.  She ended up having surgery and having to learn to walk again.   Wendi runs.  Her little Nike app posts to Facebook.  Wendi runs a lot. She's already done some 5Ks.  And is training for a half marathon in May.  Yep, Wendi inspires me.  I don't think I could do a half marathon.  I'll stick with the 5Ks for now!!

So, tomorrow is a non-running day.  Friday I run again.  And I just keep runnin and runnin and ......

No comments:

Post a Comment